With so many sliding compound miter saw options available on the market, choosing between them can be a difficult task. One compound miter saw that has gotten amazing customer feedback is the DeWalt DWS780 (not DW780).
This 12-inch sliding compound meter saw has a sliding double bevel and combines the tough durability your projects require with the precision that every top job site across the globe demands. Whether you need to perform some delicate framing job where the wood working has to be of the utmost quality or cut through the toughest materials on the construction site, the DeWalt DWS780 gives you the power and the precision that every builder, framer, carpenter, contractor and installation expert demands.
The DeWalt DWS780 Review
First, let’s talk about the DWS780’s XPS Crosscut Positioning System that uses LED lights. These LED lights are positioned on both sides of the blade. It works great and really illuminates what you are cutting and gives you a shadow line as guide for cutting. Other people seem to prefer the laser over the LED lights because they claim they cannot see the LED lights when working outside. We honestly don’t know what they were talking about because we tested this outside with the sun shining bright and we didn’t have a problem seeing it. Plus, in terms of accuracy, LED lights beat the laser hands down. You just cannot get a certain level of accuracy, say 1/64″, from a laser. But with these LED lights system, you won’t have a problem achieving that level of accuracy.
Weighing just 56 pounds, DeWalt DWS780 is remarkably light. It’s very easy to carry, helped by a handle whose position is very well thought of. The blade that came with DWS780 is surprisingly good. It’s a 60-tooth 12-inch carbide blade which can produce a smooth finish when used the right way. However, we did experience some tear-outs so you have to use a finer tooth blade to avoid those tear-outs. Changing the blade is very easy with the included tool stowed on the saw’s body.
The dust collection is adequate. DeWalt claims the bag catches 75 percent of the dust. In our experience, it does seem like it’s close to that percentage, but it still leaves quite a mess, so we recommend attaching a shop vac to improve the dust collection further by 15 to 20 percent.
The numerous positive stops offered by the saw make for fast and accurate standard cutting. The adjustability makes compound cutting easy.
One downer with the DeWalt DWS780 is the rough slide action. We find it hard to slide sometime and it requires a lot of force.
Pros of the DeWalt DWS780
- No need for recalibration. Thanks to the XPS cross-cut alignment system and the super-sturdy construction of the unit, the DWS780 doesn’t require and recalibration to get precision cutting each and every time. With the super-bright LED light projecting precision laser shadows on the work surface which denote where the blade is going to land, you’ll never have to realign or do any guesswork, even after putting in a new blade or with the passage of time.
- Rugged and tough. The DeWalt DWS780 has precision-machined castings, tall fences, a sliding double bevel system and supper durable guards to complement the stainless steel miter detent plate. This compound miter saw is capable of handling anything you throw at it.
- Enormous cutting capacity. It’s easy to see that with a 15 AMP motor giving you 3,800 RPM of cutting power, you can get through just about anything you need to with this compound miter saw. In fact, the DeWalt DWS780 provides you with the industry leading combination of cutting capacities, offering you a 6 ¾ inch vertical capacity, a 7 ½ inch nested crown capacity, a 13 7/8th inch horizontal capacity, and an exclusive back fence design that allows you to cut a 2 X 16 at a 90-degree angle and a 2 X 12 at a 45-degree angle. By locking the latch on the rail, you can hold the head away from the fence for optimal vertical cutting that is simple and fast.
- Easy to operate. With the sliding double bevel, you have the highest visibility of any comparable compound miter saw, making it perfect for any working conditions. Plus, you can adjust the angle in a wide variety of simple arrangements, allowing you to custom your projects without any hassle. You can bevel from 0 to 49 degrees with positive stops at 0 degrees, 22.5 degrees, 33.9 degrees, 45 degrees, and 49 degrees in both right and left directions. You can also miter right 60 degrees and left 50. Use the cam lock miter button to easily lock angles between detents while the miter detent override ensures that you won’t fall into the detents while getting the precise angles you need for the job.
Cons of the DeWalt DWS780
- The slide is not smooth. It is rough and hard to slide at times.
- Might feel a bit underpowered for tougher cuts.
- No soft start feature.
Special Features of the DeWalt DWS780
- Catches 75% of dust generated
- Support crown molding up to 7-1/2″ nested and base molding up to 6-3/4″ vertically
- Oversized bevel scale for simple and precise bevel angle adjustments
- Compact design and light weight (56 pounds) makes it portable and easy to store
- Dual horizontal steel rails
- Innovative clamping mechanism
- Linear ball bearings
- Unique gearbox and belt-drive design for supreme vertical cutting capacity
DWS780 vs. DW718
DeWalt intended the DWS780 to replace the DW718. The differences are numerous although they are mostly minor. This new model DWS is just putting improvements here and there to an already great saw. The biggest difference is that DWS780 already comes pre-installed with the XPS cross-cut alignment system. The other not-so-obvious differences are tabulated below:
|RPM||3,800 rpm||3,600 rpm|
|Vertical Capacity baseboard against fence||6-3/4″||6-1/2″|
|Vertical Cap. Crown Nested||7-1/2″||6-5/8″|
|Horizontal Cap. Crown Lying Flat||13-3/4″||11-1/4″|
|Weight||56 lbs||53 lbs|
Buy the DeWalt DWS780 from Amazon or if you want to read more detailed features and read other user’s reviews . We recommend getting the Dewalt DWX723 stand or the DeWalt DWX726 rolling stand to accompany this baby.
Buy DWS780 at a great price!